40-Mile Challenge Addendum; What is the Facilities (Buildings/Grounds) Committee up to?; New Swim Records Display Board; Future Events
Additional Info re: the 40-Mile Challenge
The T-shirt modeled below by Rick Alembik was designed by Georgia Ashbaugh. The design was voted as the favorite of 6 submitted designs.
What is the Facilities (Buildings/Grounds) Committee up to?
The Facilities Committee met on October 22. Lisa Crawford reported on the following items:
– The repair work on the Dance Hall cabinets has been completed.
– Lisa will store the computer at her home for the winter and assure that it is backed up.
– She will be calling contractors about repairing the roof leaks in both bath houses.
– The planters will need to be moved inside for the winter.
In addition, these items have been completed:
– Swim Atlanta cleaned the pool furniture before storing it for the winter. Normally they clean the furniture only in the spring, but we asked them to do an extra cleaning because the discoloration on the furniture was particularly noticeable.
– New anchors were installed in the areas of the concrete deck that were replaced during the renovation, and the pool cover has been installed for the winter.
– When the new starting blocks were delivered, the caps for the post holes they slide into were the wrong size. Those caps have now been replaced and the new ones installed.
– As a cost saving, the gas has been turned off for the winter.
– Winterize pool – Since the meeting on October 22 John Hall and Flip Hager have finished winterizing the pool, which includes, among other things, draining water pipes and pouring anti-freeze into them. They also videotaped this procedure for future reference.
– We received a bid of approximately $20,000 to replace the two narrow deck drains that are now not working, to expand the concrete pad behind the pool house, and to replace the entrance walkway, which is uneven and hazardous. The committee decided to discuss this further with the full Board.
– The lighting for the walkway to the main entrance did not work last summer. Flip has bought a new timer, which he will install.
– The committee agreed to recommend to the Board that we install a synthetic surface for the tether ball court before the pool opens next spring, at a cost of $2,500. This will eliminate the problem of sand and mud getting onto the pool deck and into the pool.
New Swim Records Display Board
The Activities Committee briefed the Board of Directors on a Display Board that has slots for the names of swimmers holding the record in the particular distance and stroke. The board will be 6 feet by 6 feet with the final location to be determined, but tentatively scheduled for the pump house wall behind the diving board. There will also be a slot on the board for the 40-mile challenge “winner.” The Display Board with location TBD was approved by the Board of Directors.
Mon Dec 09 7pm – 9pm VPCA Board Meeting
Submitted by Nick Cortese, email@example.com